There may be affiliate links in this blog post, but they have no impact on my writing. All my opinions are my own.
Easy Weeknight Meal for Busy Families : Potato Soup
As a mama of 3 you know I always need a little help here and there. The kids have been on Christmas vacation for the past two weeks so it's been nice having that extra time out of the car! The kids go back to school tomorrow (can you see my sad face?) and I'm a little excited to not have screaming kids arguing and a clean house for like an hour. Since the beginning of the New Year I've been writing down every meal that I want to make for the week in my planner. One meal a week will include an easy weeknight meal in the slow cooker. My husband loves potato soup so I wanted to surprise him when he got home from work with a nice creamy pot of his fav. The potato soup was a quick meal and didn't take long at all. The kids helped prepare everything which was fun experience (potato peelings on the floor and large chunks of potatoes for the win)! But seriously, this meal will be perfect for cold rainy nights, practice nights, and busy weeknights !
Potato Soup Ingredients
Prep Time 20 Minutes
Cook Time 6 Hours
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 slices of bacon crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 - 1 cup of shredded cheese depending on how cheesy you want it
- 1/2 cup Shredded cheese for garnish
- 4 slices of bacon crumbled for garnish
1. Use a slow cooker (I used a 5 quart)
2. Saute onions and garlic in the butter until they are translucent and are soft.
3. Next you'll want to stir in the flour mixing it very well. Add in 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil. You'll want to continue to stir until it becomes thick. Once it reaches that texture add it to your slow cooker.
4. Add in all other ingredients except for the bacon and cheese for garnish. Stir it all together adding 1 cup of water
5. Place the lid on the and cook on low for 6 hours (I start in the mid morning)
6. Prior to serving test the flavor if it's too salty for your taste add in 1 more cup of water and mix.
7. Scoop into a bowl and serve with garnishes of bacon and cheese.
Let me know if you try this out and if you're kids approved like mine! They loved it and it was a hit. I love making meals like this once a week where I can pop everything into the slow cooker press one button and have a nice warm meal for the family on busy nights. What are you doing for quick easy meals?